Thursday, October 17, 2013

Birthday Month (s)

October/November is birthday central for our family! We kick it off with Anne's birthday, October 2nd, follow that with Hyrum, October 9th, Caleb, November 4th, and Emma November 6th. Then the holidays, and Elsa's birthday is January 10th. I realize that these five birthdays actually cover a four month span, but with the myriad holidays in there, it feels like one constant party! Good thing I like to party and double good thing I stockpile gifts into my "gift closet" all year long.

Anne turned 17 this year! I can hardly believe so much time has gone by! It seems like yesterday that I brought her home from the hospital, scared to death to have a little person depend on me. Kendel and I were both so young and dumb, I admit, although we didn't feel like it then.

Anne is brilliant (33 on the ACT last year!) and talented (plays 7 instruments, sings and dances!) and beautiful, but what I MOST appreciate is her spirit. I know I don't tell her enough how greatly I appreciate her wisdom and maturity. I also appreciate her fun, silly side. She doesn't show that side often, or to many, but when she does it is like taking a diamond into the sun! The diamond always has it's intrinsic value and beauty, but when you take it into the sun it shines brilliantly! Anne's smile and laugh are priceless! I am so blessed to have this amazing girl as my daughter!




Hyrum turned 13. He was the most determined little person I have ever met! At eight months old, he wanted to walk.So he did. Really, I'm not kidding. He watched his big brother/sister walk and he scrunched up his little face, pulled himself up on the couch, and started practicing. Seriously, he spent a day or so walking from the couch to the hearth, a couple of steps away, without holding onto anything. Over the next couple of days he enlarged his path from the couch to the hearth to the piano bench. Then he skipped the hearth and went from the couch to the piano bench. Babies are not generally methodical like that! One day, when he was nearly 9 months old and had been practicing for a couple of weeks, I was in my bathroom down a long hall, and I turned and watched Hyrum walk slowly, and with tremendous concentration, all the way down the hall. Folks may not believe me, but it's 100% true. He is still a very determined person! It doesn't always make my job very easy, but boy, I think it will serve him well throughout his life.

In addition to being determined, Hyrum is also very bright, talented, and handsome. What a lucky mom I am!






1 comment:

Lara's blog said...

Oh my goodness...such beautiful kids! Anne is gorgeous and that Hyrum is a handsome little man. You are right though Amy, about them being amazing on the inside too. You have 8 great kids!!!