Friday, October 18, 2013

EASY! pickled beets

I make lacto-fermented beets using Sally Fallon's recipe from Nourishing Traditions. They are delicious! My kids eat them with gusto.

Even Anne, our picky child. And they are oh, so easy. You just peel the beets with a paring knife, (feed the peels to your chickens, or add them to your compost pile,) cube them,



throw them in a jar, add 2 T. good sea salt,

cover them with filtered water, and put a clean lid on the jar. No need to sterilize anything. I've had the occasional jar get scum on top of the water, but it doesn't affect the beets below, you can just scoop the scum off with a spoon, and let them keep going. If your kitchen is very cold, your beets will take longer to ferment. Just keep tasting them, and when they are to your liking, eat them! It is really as simple as it sounds.

Ta Da!


Lacto-fermented foods will keep for a couple of months on the shelf in a cold room.

Traditionally prepared vegetable are very nutritious, too. Much more so than ones canned with heat. The bacteria that proliferate during the fermentation improve digestibility, and add enzymes and probiotics, in addition to maintaining the natural vitamins and minerals that heat could destroy.

I think my shelves of fruits and vegetables are beautiful! They look like jewels. I love coming down to my cold-room and looking at them.

2 comments:

Lara's blog said...

You ROCK Amy!!! That really is a pretty pic of all the canned fruits and veggies!

Jenny said...

SO beautiful! I like to take pictures of my fruit room too.....well, when I had one, anyway. I wonder if you know just how amazing you are????