Friday, November 8, 2013

Pumpkin Bread, WAPF-style

WAPF stands for Weston A. Price Foundation. He was a dentist in Chicago about 100 years ago, who learned and shared some age-old nutrition principles that I follow in my own family.

One principle is that grains must be soaked to reduce the phytic acid contained in the hull of the seed. Phytic acid will block absorption of lots of minerals, so consumption of un-soaked whole grains can contribute to cavities and illness. I make everything from scratch, and I soak all of my grains.

Another principle is that modern sugar is devoid of all nutrients, so I use honey, blackstrap molasses, and whole unprocessed natural sweeteners as much as possible. Rapadura is the least processed sugar, for when sugar is unavoidable.

This pumpkin bread is one of our go-to breakfasts in the fall. I make large batches of it and we breakfast off it for several days. It just gets yummier in the fridge. I store it way at the back or the kids would eat it all up!
 Here is my recipe:

Mix:
7 c. freshly-ground whole-wheat flour (the oils go rancid quickly once it's ground)
3 T. baking soda
6 T. pumpkin pie spice

Mix in a very large bowl:
1 1/2 c. raw honey
1 c. coconut oil, melted
5 pastured eggs
8 c. pumpkin puree (or 4 16oz cans)
2 c. raw milk

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix lightly. Put your bowl into a warm oven overnight. I just leave the oven light on, and that keeps the oven warm enough.

Next morning, spoon the batter into greased muffin cups or loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees. Loaf pans will take about 50 minutes, muffins about 35 minutes. A toothpick poked in the center should come out clean.

This recipe makes 4 dozen muffins or  4 loaves of bread. You may want to halve or even quarter it.

No comments: